Third level pages - NOF Essentials

Diodorus Siculus 01:53 20 Feb 2009

Hi all,

I am working with NOF Essentials to create a website but having problems with creating more than two levels.

For example, I want to make a site for my photos.

Level one

myphotos.com/home

Family

Level two

Grandparents

Children

Cousins

Level three

Boys

Girls

The structure with NOF Essentials is as here: click here

The result is as here: click here

What I would like is for the button under cousins to open into two options: boys and girls as in the structure but it doesn't happen.

So my question: is it possible to have a third level and if so, how?

I hope this makes sense. The images in imageshack might help. As I don't know the correct terminology to use, I'm finding it difficult to search on google.

Many thanks, Dio

Kemistri 15:31 20 Feb 2009

I think you just click and drag while in the view shown in your first screen grab. As you drag each tab closer to another, you can "attach" them to the side or bottom edge to determine whether they become a child or a sibling. That's how it worked in an early version of NOF that I tried once and your tab view looks identical to that. To me, it seems like an odd way of devising a server structure.

One small piece of advice: It's usually easier to manage a flatter server structure, so only start making sub-folders if you have a compelling reason, not just for the sake of it. It makes shorter URLs too.

Diodorus Siculus 21:47 20 Feb 2009

Thank you for the reply.

I have worked out the drag/attach situation as you suggest. The problem is that when it is implemented (as in first screenshot) it will only result in secondary level links.

I wanted the second level links to open into further links so that parents open into children which in turn then open into either boys/girls. AS the second screenshot shows, this doesn't happen in reality.

I'm not sure if this makes sense? In the second screen shot, I would like cousins to provide another menu displaying either boys/girls.

I will change to using css pages I think along with a js menu; NOF was being used so that changes could easily be implemented by other family members.

Kemistri 22:18 20 Feb 2009

Writing about second-level links doesn't help to be honest, as it doesn't really mean anything, so I can't be sure what you mean by it. If you see what I mean.

When you wrote "parents open into children" etc, were you thinking in a family context or a server context? Family, I assume, but just checking. Those words have an alternative meaning in web development, so this discussion has the potential to be a little confusing if we're not on the same page!

It's difficult to tell from your screen grab whether any of those tabs represent directory folders or whether they're all files. Can you tell from where you are? Look at the folder structure directly if necessary.

(This one of the many reasons why wizzywig can be a real pain - I would just write a nested list to achieve this).

Diodorus Siculus 22:27 20 Feb 2009

Thanks again. I know nothing about webdesign as you can see!

Reading threads here asking for suggestions for suitable design software always brings up NOF Essential as being suitable... obviously not for me!

I don't know the terminology so will have to give up for now - time to read around the subject and get back to working out the basics.

Kemistri 22:35 20 Feb 2009

I haven't.

I dug out a copy of NOF 8 from a magazine CD, bunged it on my notebook and had a play. I think I've got enough info to guide you through now.

By default, the site-wide navigation lists don't show all links, but there's an option to customise it on a "Navigation bar Properties" floating pane. Bring that up and see how far you can get, then post again if more info is needed.

Diodorus Siculus 23:00 20 Feb 2009

One last try to explain what I want :)

Take a look at the image click here

Does it make sense? Or maybe what I want cannot be done with NOFEssentials?

Kemistri 23:09 20 Feb 2009

Yep, we're on the same page.

The custom option that I mentioned above looks like it will do what you want, I think.

Diodorus Siculus 23:18 20 Feb 2009

I'm not sure that we are!

On the left hand side of my finished site, I want the menu to open in sub menus. As things stand at the moment, cousins will not open into "boys" and "girls" as it shows in the structure at click here

Forum Editor 23:58 20 Feb 2009

as you were getting along just fine, but excuse me if I butt in briefly.

I have an idea why things might not be working for you, but I need to get to a machine with copy of NOF to refresh my memory of it. I can't do that until the morning, but if things are still unresolved then I'll see what I can do. I think I'll be able to resolve this then.

Kemistri 01:16 21 Feb 2009

Some very welcome backup has arrived in the shape of the FE.

I've been playing some more with the custom option and you should be able to do what you want with it. When click the "edit custom" button, the pane that appears gives you a list of the pages in the site structure and the option to select them one by one. Once you have all the links that you want to display, you can either leave them in one long column (you can change their order by dragging and dropping) or you can selectively drag and drop links to make them children of another link, which forms a flyout menu. To do this, grab a link and move it close to the intended parent until you get a plus sign, then release. Once you have dragged more than one link to the same parent, these new child links can be re-ordered if needed.

Hope that works for you Dio.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017