Thinkpad T20 screen backlight - easy to change?

andy625 10:57 25 Jul 2007

I have an IBM Thinkpad T20 on which the screen backlight has packed up. You can still see the screen working if you hold a torch right next to it.

Its come and gone over the last week. At first I thought the whole screen was off. I rebooted into safe mode and it came back to life. I then did a system restore and it appeared to fix it which made me think it was a driver problem. Same thing happened a few days later - system restore and all was ok. Now its happened again, system restore doesn't make any difference, and I've noticed that you can still see that the screen is there - just not lit up (which I think is probably what it was like before except I didn't realise).

I've read that it could be the inverter or the backlight. Do thes symptoms I describe above sound like either one in particular, or should I replace both? Are they easy to change?

I work in engineering I have electrical training and am used to repairing electrical items, so I fancy doing it myself.

andy625 11:10 25 Jul 2007

Correction - laptop is Thinkpad T22, not T20 in case it makes a difference.

P1d 11:57 25 Jul 2007

click here for the hardware maintenance manual for the T22.

Hope this helps.

P1d

andy625 12:11 25 Jul 2007

Thanks for the links. I've read through the usergroup site, and I think it could be the inverter (which sounds like its easier to replace than the backlight). I'll have to have a go at dismantling it later.

andy625 14:12 25 Jul 2007

According to the manual, it appears that you need to take out the hard drive, keyboard, battery, backup battery etc to change the inverter. Is that all really necessary? It looks to me like the inverter is in the lid. Why do you need to take out all the bits from the base unit?

Can anyone thats done this before give me any advise?

P1d 08:49 26 Jul 2007

I've never changed an inverter so I can't help you on that one sorry.

I know some models need the lid to be removed completely and some of the screws are only accessible from the base unit which means removing all the parts.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?