Thinking of biulding my first pc some advice pleas

ALTEAS 09:42 02 Oct 2007

I have been pondering on weather to build my own pc and have a few questions. I want to build a desktop style system as it will be connected to a 26ins lcd tv and must fit on the glass tv stand. It will mostly be used for internet and photos and mp3's but want the flexability to play games.

Can someone suggest a spec that would be suitable for my needs and recommend somewhere to supply the nessesary kit.

I fancy the challenge of building it myself and learning as I go along however asking around some of my local computer shops they say they can build the sort of thing i want for around £350 with vista premium loaded which seems cheaper than I can do it for. It seems that vista is the biggest cost when building your own pc.

So what are the tricks to building it yourself at an affordable price, surely there would be no diy builders out there if a local shop could do it for £150 less than you could do it your self.

robbiepaul79 09:46 02 Oct 2007

These prices seem crazy to myself if im honest what kind of spec is the £350 getting you.

If you are interested in playing semi up to date games i cant imagine a system doing this for £350 yet i may be mistaken.

ALTEAS 09:56 02 Oct 2007

chap in shop said
desktop case, 1gb ram, duel core 4400 processor dvd drive, mid range graphics card windows premium installed for around £350.

Fingees 10:08 02 Oct 2007

I would recommend, as it's your first build, that you go to

click here

Choose a barebones, or a motherboard with cpu and memory installed.

It can be costly if you don't get the cpu installed correctly, or damage it with static.

You can also choose your case, hard drive, DVD Etc.

That will certainly be enough to keep you going for a while.

All the best.

Moe_G 10:58 02 Oct 2007

Nowadays it is cheaper to by from a retailer - simply because they buy in bulk and save huge amounts, and pass those savings onto the consumer.

But if you fancy the challenge, and you want to cut costs, consider using Linux as your OS (Operating System). It takes a while getting used to but it does the job well, is safer than Windows, and it is completely free.

Also, this site was invaluable to me when I built my first PC: click here

Let us know how it goes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?