Thinking about getting a new case

Danny Barnard 20:28 29 Jul 2009

Hi everyone,
I'm currently running my PC with a thermal take lanbox case. At the time I thought this would be a great case but have found it relatively noisy. I didn't realise at the time that the suspect of noise are small fans and lack of sound proofing. I didn't think about it but this is nill sound proofing in my case and the way it is cooled is a bit flawed. It has two 60mm fans at the back and one 90 mm fan at the front. It's not really the noise they make but the pitch. I have done the whole replace fans and such and yes I have even replaced my graphics card fan. It resonates above everything and unless you do it yourself u don't really get what people mean by that. I'm gonna be super careful about choosing my next case and if anyone fansies buying a thermal take lanbox (probabily not selling it well) do say. I was thinking about the Lian Li V351 (I'm, using Micro Atx and what things small). It has two 120mm fans at the front and (worryingly) a 80mm fan at the back just for the hard drive. Has anyone got this case? What did you think of it if you do have it? And honestely what noise does it make. Is it audiable. I'm aiming to get things super silent. My dream is to get a PC which can hard core game but I'm a uni student so I don't want distractions from work with it on.

I am Spartacus 20:42 29 Jul 2009

It will be a struggle to get quiet never mind super silent with a small case. The heat build up with components in close proximity to each other will require a decent airflow and that often means noise.

You don't say which replacement fans you've tried but there's a limited number of options at click here I have some 120mm 9dB fans and I can still hear them when I'm sat next to the PC.

Resonance is often caused by the hard drive and although you can get rid of that by suspending the drives with elastic I don't think you have that option with a tiny case.

You can cut down some noise by fitting noise absorbing foam but it's expensive and doesn't do much to cut down on fan noise click here

I am Spartacus 20:43 29 Jul 2009

P.S. Does it have to be such a small case?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone