Things to try with a modem problem

dth 12:59 08 Dec 2004

A friend asked me to have a look at his p/c last night as he couldn't connect to the internet.

The p/c is a 1.8 celeron with 256 ram and win xp home. His problems are that the p/c runs very slowly and he cannot connect to the internet - using a standard internal modem.

First checked for any sign of virus activity - nil according to Nortons. I've removed the odd bit of spyware but nothing too serious. Disabled the firewall.

Then I tried to log-on to my ISP using my details - no joy. The modem just hangs. Tried removing tcp and re-installing but still no progress. Added SP2 (with my fingers crossed) but no change.

Tried connecting to the internet via my adsl router/modem and this connected fine - but still a bit slow. Next tried deleting the modem driver and re-installing this and then the dial-up account details.

Tonight I am going to have one more go and put in an spare modem - just in case it is the actual modem that is faulty. Assuming still no joy - can anyone suggest anything else to try - before I suggest that he re-installs windows?

Many thanks

joel42 13:32 08 Dec 2004

I had same sort of problem using Tiscal Broadband after having installed SP2. Removed SP 2, uninstalled the Tiscali ADSL modem, re-installed the modem and everything seems ok so far

Graham ® 13:41 08 Dec 2004

It's a dial-up modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?