Thin green line......?

Pip58 06:46 12 Jun 2008

For some unknown reason a thin green vertical line has appeared on my laptop screen - approx a third in from right hand side of screen as you look at laptop. As far as I know I haven't done anything for this to happen although I confess that I have only recently started using a laptop rather than a pc. PLEASE can anyone help me sort this or give me any advice.
Thanks very much.

Sheik Yerbouti 07:09 12 Jun 2008

Can you try attaching an external monitor to the laptop, see if you still see the same problem ?
If an external monitor works OK that would probably mean the laptop screen has a problem. There are a few small components around a laptop screen that help it to work correctly, but unless you are confident about fixing it yourself, it's going to need looking at.
I have replaced an inverter on an Asus laptop, cost about £50 , but shop wanted another £70 to fit it for me. Decided to have a go myself, very fiddly, but got there in the end. If someone can ID your problem and tell you which part you need, you might be able to fix it yourself. Best of luck with it.

crosstrainer 07:10 12 Jun 2008

Make and model of laptop? It could be a driver related issue, but It's more likely to be a dying lcd screen.

This is a common problem with some laptops.

Post the make and model, then we can find the newest available drivers for your graphics chip.

Pip58 09:34 12 Jun 2008

Thanks to Crosstrainer and Sheik so far.
The make and model is a Medion Akoya T2330 Notebook which I have only recently purchased from Aldi Stores, so if this is a serious problem I would need to speak to them about it as there is a 3 year warranty with it. However, if only a minor fault and easily rectified then I would be grateful for any further help and advice.

crosstrainer 09:38 12 Jun 2008

It's a no brainer........Take it back for a replacement...I suspect a faulty display anyway.

Don;t fiddle, it's warranty covers it, box take off all your critical data first, and return it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017