There's something wrong with my partition!

Gaz W 23:47 27 May 2005

Hi,

I've had this problem for a few months now, but have only just found the time to deal with it.

When I copy audio files (especially large ones) from another drive, e.g. a DVD, CD or my primary partition, onto my extended partition (drive D) on my Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive, the files are corrupt. They will sometimes open and play up to a point, and then they will skip large parts out, stop and freeze the media player software (winamp, windows media player, etc), or even play part of a different file!

As an experiment I tried copying it to my main partition where Windows is installed (drive C, around 46.5GB). This worked fine, so I'm assuming there is something wrong with my partition.

The D drive is (186GB) in size - is it that it's too large a drive for Windows to manage? It does still have 103GB free space.

If I format it, is it likely that this will solve the problem, or does this sound like more of a problem with the actual drive?

As I mentioned earlier, drive C is fine, but I would like to sort this out as soon as possible! If I can get away without formatting that would be handy, as otherwise I have to back up (or just lose) 83GB of (mainly) audio, video and downloaded software!

I would appreciate any help, advice, comments - anything to sort this out because it's one of those really, really annoying mystery problems!

Cheers,

Gaz

DieSse 00:27 28 May 2005

"The D drive is (186GB) in size"

FAT32 or NTFS ?

Gaz W 01:03 28 May 2005

Sorry, NTFS! I was going to mention that but obviously forgot - oops!

DieSse 16:28 28 May 2005

NTFS should be OK.

With some sized partitions, on systems that won't support the disk size correctly, a format will appear to run, but in fact finishes before the end of the partition, then wraps around and formats over the beginning again - leading to a mess that appears to be OK but isn't. I think this only applies to FAT32 formatting and some odd types of BIOS and Format versions.

I would suspect the drive, myself. To check this, get the manufacturers drive diagnostics and run an in depth drive test.

Gaz W 16:34 28 May 2005

It does sound like the FAT32 problem, but it's definitely NTFS. The thing is, I have already downloaded all of Western Digital's utilities, including Data Lifeguard, and all of them showed the drive to be healthy!

I'll have another go but somehow I can't see them coming up with any faults.

My motherboard is an Abit AT7-Max2 and it's never had a BIOS update from new (June 2003) - maybe I need to do that.

Gaz W 16:44 28 May 2005

By the way, the thing that made me think it might not be a hardware problem was that the C drive is fine. The D drive seems to store everything already on it OK, but putting anything large onto it now can lead to problems.

Gaz W 21:33 02 Jun 2005

The other day I tried the Western Digital Data Lifeguard utilities and did a Quick Test and an Extended Test. Both came up with no problems on the drive. I'm still experiencing problems, and I've run out of ideas! Could someone please advise me what the best action to take now is?

Thanks,

Gaz

DieSse 21:52 02 Jun 2005

Can you reasonably easily cut down your partition to under 127Gb (say to 120Gb) and see if you experience the same problems.

This is the NTFS spec on sizing - there doesn't seem to be any problem that should affect you. click here

Gaz W 22:17 02 Jun 2005

NTFS is far too complicated!!!

I did have a problem earlier on with this drive where the size of the 200GB partition was only 137GB - and I'm sure it was 137GB, not 127GB, that it was. I managed to sort this out after (I think) a few Windows updates.

I COULD cut the partition size down, but it rather defeats the object of having a big drive I can just make TV recordings to without having to worry about it getting full. It would also mean either formatting or using something like PartitionMagic or the like. Ideally, I don't want to lose what data I have on it that is still not corrupt.

It's funny that I've only really noticed it in the last few months, but the problem definitely exists. I would have thought it would have had to hit the 127GB limit before I noticed any problems, and I only have 83GB used!

woodchip 22:28 02 Jun 2005

Have you tried the Simle things first, like right click My Computer\Properties then Right click D:\ Tools Check Disc tick Auto Fix box

woodchip 22:29 02 Jun 2005

Have you tried the Simle things first, like right click My Computer\Properties then Right click D:\ Tools Check Disc tick Auto Fix box. Sorry that should Read Double Click my Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?