Is there a way to disable the XP splash screen?

SB23 21:00 02 Dec 2006

I must be having a mid life crisis or something like that, lol, but is there a way to disable the startup Xp screen. For some reason it has begun to annoy me, and I just feel that my pc would startup quicker if I could disable it.

Any ideas.
Thanks

Steve

SANTOS7 21:02 02 Dec 2006

click here
course there is,good luck..

SANTOS7 21:07 02 Dec 2006

click here
if thats too techy watch video in link it shows you exactly where to go and what to select

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:09 02 Dec 2006

Or you can choose a new Bootskin click here

David4637 20:41 04 Dec 2006

Tried Santos7 first link add "space /SOS to Boot.ini. Got a whole load of commands which flashed up, no splash screen though. Got rid of one thing but got another unwanted screen. Any comments please? Thanks David

SB23 13:49 05 Dec 2006

I've been told to go into msconfig and select BOOT.INI, under boot options to click in /NOGUIBOOT, and that will ahve the desired effect.
Does anyone know for sure?

Steve

keithlik 13:52 05 Dec 2006

Suffer the problem (if it is a problem) - If the screen don't show you will still have to wait while the 'fire up' proceeds.

SB23 13:59 05 Dec 2006

ahve should read as have, to much caffeine me thinks?

keithlik

You have a point, but after years of looking at it, its started to annoy me.
I could try the link supplied by Hertz Van Rentyl, if I can change it, that may be better than nothing.

Steve

ed-0 14:00 05 Dec 2006

NOGUIBOOT stops the windows progress bar from showing. click here

David4637 15:05 06 Dec 2006

Yes /NOGUIBOOT does work, but I find that Acronis will not activate the track ball in a CD restore image function, therefore I will NOT use it. David

Technotiger 15:25 06 Dec 2006

Hi, I use TuneUp Utilities 2006, among many other things, this gives the option to change the appearance of your Boot Screen and your Welcome Screen. At bootup my own screen shows a full-screen picture of a woman's head&shoulders, call True Beauty.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?