is there a way to calculate how much it takes too.

woofwoofbark 12:41 29 Dec 2006

...run a computer ?

Im curious as to how much is spent on running a computer , I take it the more components the more electricity used and also depends on which electicity supplier you are with.

anyone got any ideas how to work this out?

cheers

NotSoTechnical

Totally-braindead 12:43 29 Dec 2006

Somewhere to start click here

howard64 12:44 29 Dec 2006

the power taken by a pc will vary depending on what part inside is active. If you had the technical skill and equipment you could measure the current taken over a period of time and power is current multiplied by the voltage.

woofwoofbark 13:09 29 Dec 2006

ive just found a site that helps me workout how many kwh i use ... thanks Totally-braindead for your link ...

I have estimated that my computer uses around 276 watts and from what ( no pun intended ) this site says click here

quote :-
"Now to understand kWh. The kW part stands for Kilowatt, or 1000 Watts, and the h part stands for hour.
That was easy to understanding what kWh means, but how to use it?
Let's say we had a 120 watt load (can be 12V,24V or any voltage) and it was running for 10 hours.
First you multiply 120 watts by 10 hours, which equals 1200 (watt hours). Then you divide the 1200 by 1000 to get 1.2kWh.
This value of kWhs is the value used by power companys to work out the price you need to pay them for power used."

276 for 5 hours (276 x 5 = 1380 watts)

1380watts divided by 1000 = 1.38kwh

my electricity supplier price is 10.91 per kwh so thats .1091 x 1.38 = 15p rounded up ( i think so anyway lol)

anyone with a head for figures sense of this ?

NotSoTechnical

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 29 Dec 2006

If your monitor is powered by a seperate plug you need to ad that as well

+ speakers + router + scanner + printer + eternal HDD + powered USB hub etc.

woofwoofbark 13:20 29 Dec 2006

i'll work out the monitor/router ect in a mo ...

so , are my calculations correct ? 15p for the base unit over 5 hours sounds very good lol ,

anyone else wanna try and calculate thier system just for comparisons sake

cheers

NotSoTechnical

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 29 Dec 2006

This was done last year by someone (try a forum search) and worked out to approx 11p a day (six hours) but of course the price of electricity has gone up since then.

Meshuga 13:33 29 Dec 2006

I have a plug in power and energy monitor which will tell you the voltage, amperage, wattage, HZ,and kwh of anything plugged into it. You can then work it out depending on the cost of your electricity. Got mine from Maplin for about £16.

howard64 13:43 29 Dec 2006

Meshuga £16 is the cost of using your pc and equipment for a lot of days.

woofwoofbark 18:34 29 Dec 2006

Meshuga have you kept records of how many kwh you use per day or do you roughly know how many ? i was looking for a energy monitor through a few sites and they are roughly around £15 not including postage.

It seems like a cool gadget to have. I always thought running a pc was expensive , but with my calculations the base usit(not including monitor/speakers/router ect) is only 30p for 10 hours.I have recently just changed electricity suppliers and running the cost of the comp will decrease over the 10 hours when the contract takes affect lol , 30p i might even get that figure down to 28p haha

NotSoTechnical

downie 18:45 29 Dec 2006

IT TAKES MORE POWER TO TURN ON THE PC THAN TO RUN IT ALL DAY AS THE START UP CURRENT WILL BE HIGH, AND U WILL NEED A CLAMP METER TO MESURE THAT IM AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?