Is there such a thing as a router for a dialup

pj123 16:26 21 Oct 2005

internal modem on a desktop PC to a PCMCIA on a laptop?

My next door neighbour has a PC running Windows ME on a PAYG dialup account. He has just bought a laptop (running XP) and wants to connect them together using a router. All the routers I have seen say "Cable/DSL" So I guess an internal analogue modem cannot be connected to a router?

I suppose his best bet is to install his PAYG account on the laptop separately and just plug the phone line in as and when he needs to use it.

That, of course, means he can't sit in the garden (or anywhere else in his house that doesn't have a phone connection) with his laptop and logon to the internet, which defeats the object of a laptop.

Thanks.

splork 16:41 21 Oct 2005

Your latter suggestion is correct, no such thing as a dial-up router, although your neighbour might like to consider this click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 21 Oct 2005

One method is to set up an Ad hoc wireless network with internet connection sharing.

It means the desktop would have to be switched on while he was using the laptop in the garden.

The laptop could then access the internet via the desktop dial up.

click here

pj123 17:45 21 Oct 2005

splork, thanks that looks pretty good to me. Will give him that info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ still only looks like broadband to me, not analogue.

DieSse 17:51 21 Oct 2005

Put *** dial up router *** into a google search and you will find some (though I don't think they're common any more).

eg click here

DieSse 17:54 21 Oct 2005

Another useful article to read click here

splork 17:59 21 Oct 2005

One learns something new every day, thanks DieSse.

pj123 13:06 22 Oct 2005

Thanks Guys. All info passed on. As we have NTL cable running down our street, (I'm on NTL Broadband) I am trying to persuade him to go for BB. He tells me his last phone bill (including internet access) for the last quarter was less than £5!!!

If that is true, then personally, I don't see any point in him being on the internet at all.

It's all down to him now.

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?