There is a problem with this website's security ce

JaneAttwood 16:27 15 Feb 2010

The last word is certificate.

This message has started to come up when I access most webistes - including the ones I know are fine - like my bank. I have to select that I want to continue (whilst being warned that it is not recommended. Why is this happening and how can i stop it?

rdave13 16:30 15 Feb 2010

Check your date and time is correct.

JaneAttwood 16:34 15 Feb 2010

You are right - thank you - why does it do that?

rdave13 16:36 15 Feb 2010

Possibly the Cmos battery (on the motherboard) is dead and will need replacing.

JaneAttwood 16:41 15 Feb 2010

Gosh - that sounds very sci fi. What shall I do? The clock seems to be working now.

rdave13 16:54 15 Feb 2010

click here
Can you get someone to change it?
PC will loose it's time setting when you power off the mains. If you leave the power mains on after shutting down the PC, the date and time will remain ok.

Technotiger 17:01 15 Feb 2010

Are you using a Desktop PC or a Laptop, and can you tell us the Make and Model number? Not all CMOS Batteries are the same in all PC's.

OTT_B 17:05 15 Feb 2010

If your PC use is critical to you, then it's worth looking at now. If not then wait and see if it happens again. It may just have been a random error caused by another process or, heaven forbid, you may have accidentally changed the date / time yourself and not realised.

robin_x 22:43 15 Feb 2010

If it is the battery, you will lose date and time every time you switch off PC/disconnect power.

When you power up, just click on the clock to set it every time. Or you may get a prompt.

My old laptop clock chip failed and I used it like that for 2 years.

=============================
General security for websites.

I found the IE / Firefox add ons from mywot.com to get a useful quick (not foolproof) check for safety.

JaneAttwood 18:56 18 Feb 2010

I am using a desktop PC. I am going to turn it off and then check what happens when i turn it back on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?