Is there a problem with NTL/Tesco email?

slimpickins 15:05 10 Jul 2005

Is anyone else expierincing problemns send/receiving from/to an NTL or Tesco.net email address? I run a very small digital community support site and I'm getting a few reports from people who:

Aren't receiving email that people say they have sent.

Send email that doesn't arrive.

Receive multiple copies of the same email.

All this points towards a problem with NTL (Tesco buys their service from them) but I can't find any explanation for the problem on the Net.

This has been going on for a while but the only other thread that seems relavent is this one click here

busybaz 09:45 11 Jul 2005

Have been unable to send email (NTL account using Outlook Express)since returning from hols on 4/7/05.

Norton Antivirus produces the following message at every send attempt:

"Your email message was unable to be sent because your mail server rejected the message;
452 Message rejected."

Am trying to get a response from their Tech Support as to whether it is a problem caused by their recent "Planned Maintenence" schedule [showing on their Service Availability page], but I don't expect anything other than the automated response already received. Tiscali here I come???

busybaz 09:57 11 Jul 2005

Does the following link give any clues?

click here

keith-236785 09:58 11 Jul 2005

i have sent you an e-mail so you can send me one and i will return it to test out NTL

i dont have any problems with NTL but i do sometimes get the same message twice with Hotmail. i think its just something to do with the servers, if i delete one of the duplicate entries, it deletes the other copy.

if this has been happening for some time then it suggests either a problem with your system (unlikely as you suggest other ppl are having the same problem), or it is a phone line problem.

do you connect via your bt line or is it dedicated NTL BB/dialup. It might be possible that your problem is in fact a BT one.

good luck

busybaz 10:13 11 Jul 2005

Further searching has produced the following remedy;

In Outlook Express, select Tools/Accounts & select Properties of pop.ntlworld.com. Select Servers & overwrite smtp.ntlworld.com with it's ip address [62.253.162.40]

slimpickins 10:20 11 Jul 2005

Thanks for the responses. In a three digit error code each number has a specific meaning, in this case the 4 and 5 indicate a problem with the server. I couldn't find what the 2 means but taken as a whole 452 tells you that the operation was stopped because the server had insufficient system storage.

Which seems unbelieveable!

Source click here

slimpickins 10:22 11 Jul 2005

Thanks for the responses. In a three digit error code each number has a specific meaning, in this case the 4 and 5 indicate a problem with the server. I couldn't find what the 2 means but taken as a whole 452 tells you that the operation was stopped because the server had insufficient system storage.

Which seems unbelieveable!

Source click here

slimpickins 10:30 11 Jul 2005

Thanks for the tip busybaz, I've not seen that idea before.

Sorry for the double post, I got disconnected and resent it by accident.

keith-236785 10:51 11 Jul 2005

got both e-mails and have replied to them both, both were reported as sent ok.

hope this helped eliminate something.

pj123 16:00 11 Jul 2005

I only have one person who can't send emails to my NTL email address direct(I never receive them). He is on AOL but he doesn't get any indication that the email has not been sent. He now sends emails to my website email address (which incidentally is diverted to my NTL email address) and they arrive in my Inbox no problem. Does that mean that the problem is not with NTL?

slimpickins 20:16 11 Jul 2005

I'll check if the reports I'm getting also involve AOL, they do have odd problems which seem to relate to how the ISP handles suspected spam and viruses.

For a while last summer they were banning email emanating from whole ranges of IP addresses, which caught a lot of dial up users with dynamic addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?