There has to be a simple answer.....BBC video news

Diemmess 17:29 22 Oct 2008

click here

If I open this BBC link in AOL or IE, I cannot make any of the videos play. I fact the small window where the action will be remains blank

If I do the same in Mozilla... absolutely no bother at all! (AOL, IE or Firefox will play U-tube clips normally)

Since (I believe) AOL uses IE in the background as the browser, it presumably needs me to change something, but what?

birdface 17:42 22 Oct 2008

Works Ok for me with IE7.

birdface 17:44 22 Oct 2008

Maybe Flash program needs updating.

Diemmess 17:45 22 Oct 2008

Yes it only stopped working for me yesterday, but I don't remember any significant thing happening or being altered.
The snag must be in IE.

birdface 17:50 22 Oct 2008

Not got IE7 Pro add-on with flash blocker ticked have you.Or in Spywarebaster or Spybot.

Stuartli 18:05 22 Oct 2008

There are two versions of Flash Player, one for IE and the other for Firefox and other browsers.

If you go to the Adobe download site using IE it will automatically download the correct version.

Also try installing the Standard or Full K-Litre Audio and Video Codecs Pack. See:

click here

Stuartli 18:06 22 Oct 2008

Your link works fine for me in both FireFox and IE7.

Diemmess 18:20 22 Oct 2008

Your 'alternative version of Flash' looks very promising.

Unfortunately, just at this moment the site is not available while routine maintenance is being carried out!!

Oh well I'll try later and if that is tomorrow I'll still post the 'cure' here.

Stuartli 18:24 22 Oct 2008
  Diemmess 22:23 22 Oct 2008

None of these suggestions worked - very disappointing, I hoped one would!

So I cheated and used Acronis to restore to 14/10/08.
All my data is on another drive, so I will merely update my email stuff from C: and press on regardless now that those BBC video clips are opening in AOL (IE) and IE itself.

Thanks both for your help

Confab 22:31 22 Oct 2008

I occasionally have the same issue and it happens when I run one of the free pc/registry cleaners (although I haven’t found out which one it is yet. In order to fix the problem I have to run the uninstall flash player file from Adobe

click here

and then re-install flash player from

click here

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie