Is there a 'divide' sign anywhere ?

  Furkin 10:50 17 Feb 2008

Hi, I do most of my stuff on MS-Word,,,,
I recently wanted to write the 'division' symbol on a letter, but was unable to find one.

I looked in Insert > symbols etc, & whilst there seems to be a symbol for just about everything else, I can't find this one.

Any ideas please ?


  Ikelos 10:52 17 Feb 2008

try this..........

click here

  Taff™ 10:54 17 Feb 2008

Try holding the ALT key and on the numeric keypad type 0247 - It must be done using the numeric keypad.

  Taff™ 11:01 17 Feb 2008

Alternatively go to Insert>Symbol and in the font box change to Symbol font. Scroll down two thirds and you`ll see a divide symbol (Character reference 184)

  Furkin 11:51 17 Feb 2008

Thanks Guys (& gals)
IKELOS: Not quite what I had in mind, but thanks for the info.
TAFF: I can't get the 0247 bit to work,,,, just, nothing happens ! (When/if I do get this working,,,, is there a list of other symbols on these keys ?)
Cheers Taff - as you say, it's in the Symbols menu. I spent hours & hours looking in there previously !?
thanks again - Resolved

  €dstowe 12:10 17 Feb 2008

For Taff's first method, ensure that Num Lock is on.


  €dstowe 12:12 17 Feb 2008

For other characters and symbols, look at Character Map:

Start -> All Programs -> System Tools -> Accessories -> Character Map

  Taff™ 12:27 17 Feb 2008

When you are in the symbols dialog box and select any symbol in the grid the shortcut is detailed at the bottom. Hence Alt+0153 is ™ assuming the NumLock key is on as €dstowe points out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?