Is there a difference between USB and USB2 cables?

prb 13:40 05 Jan 2006

Hi,

I'm looking to but a new printer which has a USB2 interface (as does the PC). My question is if I use my old USB printer cable will I suffer any loss of speed etc? I notice that some places actually advertise USB2 cables... but surely it's simply a case of connecting terminal a on computer to terminal A on printer so the old cable should do the job?!?

Thanks

Skills 13:45 05 Jan 2006

The USB cable will work but it wont give you USB 2 speeds thats the difference.

Edbanger 13:49 05 Jan 2006

Have a look here

click here

realist 15:10 05 Jan 2006

We got this one from Amazon.....

realist 15:12 05 Jan 2006

.....and here's the link!
click here

Belatucadrus 15:21 05 Jan 2006

On the other hand I once looked into this and asked a cable manufacturer what the difference was and what specification a cable had to meet to be classified as USB2, they didn't know.
I've never detected any speed difference using so called USB 1 cables on USB 2 peripherals.

If anybody can post a link to any applicable page specifying cable standards, I'd still like to see it.

DieSse 15:38 05 Jan 2006

Apparently there is no special spec for a USB2 cable. A problem can arise however, in that many USB1 cables were built below spec, and functioned fine for USB1 - but will not function with USB2.

Common problems are - lack of shielding - and too thin a quality wire being used.

So basically if a cable works OK with USB2 then it is OK. But many really cheaply built ones may not - or worse may not work consistently well.

The moral of the story seems to be - buy USB2 specified cables that have the *Hi-Speed USB* logo on them, if you want to be a happy bunny.

Belatucadrus 15:43 05 Jan 2006

I've e-mailed USB-IF to see what they have to say. Either way unless it's a mind bendingly rapid industrial laser printer, it's probably not going to show much benefit from having USB2.

€dstowe 16:38 05 Jan 2006

Electrons travel at the same speed whether USB or USB2. Connectors and fittings are the same for both. The cable in between would have to be extremely poor quality (falling apart?) for any difference to be noticed. Don't be taken in by marketing hype.

prb 13:24 06 Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for your help - think I'll try the old cable first... although at £2.68 @ Amazon it may well be worth just getting a new cable.

Ikelos 14:51 06 Jan 2006

€dstowe is 100% right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?