Is there anyway to see who is connected to my netw

spud22 09:53 07 Jan 2007

I have a wireless network and one of my nieghbours is connecting to it . I dont want to secure it as i dont really mind but would like to be able to shut them out if i am downloading big files can i tell when they are online.

ectfabs 10:23 07 Jan 2007

check for dhcp lease and mac address and on most routers you can accept or reject connections.Another way is to setup two wireless profiles one for when it's ok to connect the other for when it's not .

Dan S 10:34 07 Jan 2007

It would depend entirely on the wireless router that you're using. Most I've come across allow you to view who is currently connecting through your router from inside the firmware. Also, a lot of routers, wireless or no, allow you to block internet access to a particular IP on your network, either at particular times or constantly.

If you're not sure how to access your router's firmware, you'll need to find out it's IP address on your network. To do this (assuming you're running XP), go to 'Start>Run' and in the dialogue box type 'CMD'. Once the DOS-like prompt appears, type IPCONFIG . From the information that appears, we want to make not of your 'Default Gateway', although it may also be worth making a note of your own IP address just so you don't block that one by accident.

You may need a username and password to access your firmware, and if you haven't changed it, the default information should be in the manual. It might be an idea to browse through it to identify the best way of restricting your neighbour.

spud22 10:41 07 Jan 2007

never thought of that good idea set up new profile dont mind most of the time it,s his son on his notebook they don't have wireless i've changed the ssid and gave him the new name. and password told him i'd message him if i neeed the connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone