Is there anything I can do to make my PC better

erkmatrix 14:05 11 Nov 2008

Hi

I bought a PC last September with the spec below. Well basically I just wanted to know if theres anything I could buy now to make it more faster for running programs like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I've noticed it struggles when I use Photools (photoshop plugin) and says cannot perform this action due to not enough memory. It only does this on occassion but I'm wanting to upgrade to have the PC be able to handle anything I throw at it.

Another thing I've only recently noticed is when I right click mycomputer/properties it tells me I have 3.00 GB of RAM, but with Crucial.com scan it says 4 GB, is it possible that 1 slot isn't working. Or would the scan at crucial.com told me that.

I just wanted to know what you could recommend me buy to assure ultimate performance, I want to start work as a graphic designer next year in January and wanted the best spec to run Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4 and have it process large files for print quick without problems. Is there anything I could buy to give it that extra boost I've got a £1000 max budget though. Would having windows vista 64bit be beneficial.

Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
500GB SATA Hard Drive, ,
8025-C43 Midi,
Atrix 720Watt Silent Dual Fan ,
768Mb Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card DX10,
QC - Gigabyte N680iSLI-DQ6-1333fsb-DDR1066x4 SLI (Dual graphics),
DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe,
Floppy Drive - SILVER, I
integrated Sound Card,
Intergrated Monitor Speakers, ,
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Cheers Phil

The Brigadier 14:16 11 Nov 2008

XP Home will not see above 3GB of RAM hence the RAM problem!
Put on Vista and it will see it all OK!

Pamy 14:17 11 Nov 2008

I think you have all that is necessary to do what you want to do. I would look at removing unwanted progs and other rubish. but you really should not have any problem running Adobe CS4 etc.

sunnystaines 14:23 11 Nov 2008

as mentioned, vista will let you use more ram

erkmatrix 14:24 11 Nov 2008

Hi right I'll put the 64bit vista ultimate on my list, yeah I know it should perform okish with what I've got already but I just want it speeding up too really to handle at faster speeds large files and never say not enough memory to perform this task or something like that.

oldbeefer2 14:37 11 Nov 2008

My son is in that line of business and he and all around him use Macs for that task. Might be worth looking before you spend anymore on your present system!

erkmatrix 14:49 11 Nov 2008

Yeah a mac probably would of been a good idea but I've just always been a PC guy and have been on a mac of my mates and just wasn't overly impressed, they look cool but lots of compatility issues with stuff so just always stuck with PCs so think I'd rather upgrade my PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?