Is there an alternative to PayPal?

olddromola 11:43 19 Jan 2006

Does anybody know an alternative to PayPal? By that I mean a method other than plastic cards for the ordinary man in the street to pay for items bought on Ebay.

€dstowe 11:57 19 Jan 2006

The payment methods on eBay are determined by the seller. There are a number of alternative ways of paying for items but it is the seller that dictates which he will accept.

Fingees 12:00 19 Jan 2006

If you go to Ebay's website,

You can see about payment.

It says that most sellers will accept a checque, but will wait for it to be cleared before sending goods.

This can take up to ten days.

duffymoon 12:04 19 Jan 2006

if you go into the community section on ebay and read some of the forums a lot of people have posted reply's to this question and bank transfer seems like a good alternative.

Flying Teddy 12:19 19 Jan 2006

I don't like PayPal either. They seem to be far too hand-in-glove with Ebay for my liking.

I use two alternatives. The first is Nochex click here but this is not widely used. I've no idea why, it's independent and fast and i've never had a problem with it.

The second method is to hit 'ask the seller a question', and the question is: 'will you accept a nochex payment/personal cheque/postal order etc' (delete as appropriate). It is far more common for the seller to agree (particularly if you have a good rating) than not.

Good luck.

pj123 12:21 19 Jan 2006

I've only ever paid for anything I have bought on ebay by cheque. Never had any problems. In fact, sometimes I have received the item within a couple of days after sending the cheque, which must say something about my feedback count.

spuds 12:52 19 Jan 2006

A number of sellers now appear to use Nochex. Its straight forward and very simple to use, and you do not need to open an account like you do with PayPal.But you will need to use plastic for prompt payments. The alternative is the waiting game of sending a cheque, cash or more speedier and secure method of Payment on Collection.At least with PoC, you are 100% sure that the transaction will be in your favour, distance and time permitting of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?