Thanks and Second HDD Advice

Murielson 1 20:08 28 Feb 2008

Found a Windows XP error a few days ago which I thought was terminal but after searching around these forums I realised it may have been a HDD failure problem.

Got Seatools from the Seagate site and managed to repair the HDD so all is now well. Many thanks to all who may have posted on this before as all info found was greatly appreciated.

However I now consider myself suitably warned as I did not have a backup and, as I now have the computer open, I would like to add another HDD.

My question is what size limits should I be looking at if any? I currently have a 250GB HDD and am considering adding the same again and maybe arranging to have a copy made on a regular basis as a backup. Is the same size HDD a good idea or can anyone see problems with this?

Thoughts appreciated.

rossgolf 20:11 28 Feb 2008

i would go for a 500gb
the reason would be you can have multiple backups just incase you have deleted anything previously
ie. a grandfather copy, father copy and child copy

PC Bilbo 22:19 28 Feb 2008

Most back up/clone software uses compression so the
second drive could be smaller (and cheaper) if all you want to do is back up.

Strawballs 22:23 28 Feb 2008

If you get the second drive then I would recomend Acronis true image to do your backups.

john bunyan 22:31 28 Feb 2008

I agree with Strawballs re ATI. I recently bought a second 320Gig HDD to match my existing one and had it mounted in a caddy that can be removed from the PC and stored elsewhere. When mounted it is as fast on transfer as an internal SATA. Got the caddy by mail order from Maplin.You can leave it in and turn it off by a key provided.

zarobian 22:43 28 Feb 2008

"My question is what size limits should I be looking at if any? I currently have a 250GB HDD and am considering adding the same again and maybe arranging to have a copy made on a regular basis as a backup. Is the same size HDD a good idea or can anyone see problems with this"

No problem.

'Z'

Murielson 1 13:18 29 Feb 2008

Thanks for all the advice folks - will have a look and see how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?