TFT screen problems

griffo 11:34 28 Jun 2003

I have 2 HP omnibook XE3 laptops that are 16 months old. One has a failed back light on its' screen and the other has shown early signs of a pending failure! Ironically, they are just 4 months beyond their warranty!

I imagine that the TFT screen just plugs into a multi-pin adaptor inside the lid? If this is so and a "reasonably competent" person could do the job - can anyone advise if it is possible to get either a new backlight or (as I suppose)a new TFT panel. If this is possible can you suggest a source and approx. cost?

many thanks

Big Elf 14:05 28 Jun 2003

I would get in touch with HP even though they're out of warranty as this may be a problem with that model and they may replace or repair as a goodwill gesture.

griffo 17:28 28 Jun 2003

have done that - waiting for reply but with no expectation

barrie_g 18:44 28 Jun 2003

I would have thought that this would be a dealer only part, and that even then it would only be available on special order if at all.

griffo 15:15 29 Jun 2003

I suspect you're right after all, why let someone carry out a repair on something small like a screen backlight, when you can get them to scrap the whole machine and buy a new one! Or is that too cynical of me?

I will not be buying HP again, that's for sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?