Tft monitor - coloured edge to text

cider country bumpkin 19:59 14 Mar 2007

Hi Guys, my son got a Samsung Syncmaster 971p a few weeks back, he complains bitterly about a dark red edge on the right hand side of all black text. Left hand edges are sharp. I can see it, (just) although it wouldn't bother me it doesn't please him, said it wasn't there on his old CRT. Is something not set up properly or is it inherent in Tft's (possibly seeing a line of pixels) or should we be returning it to the shop?
Regards and thanks in advance,
David

Fingees 20:12 14 Mar 2007

I would suggest he should check that the monitor is set up using its native resolution.
Check manual, or manufacturers website).
If it is not, then it is possible that it will show some slight edges.

cider country bumpkin 20:26 14 Mar 2007

Checked, resolution is native 1280 x 1024. Thanks anyway, fingees, it's something I hadn't checked.

daba 00:34 15 Mar 2007

check monitor options for "Clock" and "Phase" if they exist. Start with Clock at 50%, and Phase at 0%

check display properties for the refresh frequency, match it to the monitor, or the other way round.

does this monitor have an "auto-adjust" feature, if it has, use it on all screen resolutions, typically games will switch to another resolution, the monitor should memorise the settings

ashdav 00:54 15 Mar 2007

click here
to improve text on tft displays.
If your monitor has an auto adjust button suggest you use that rather than fiddle about with clock and phase settings. You will never get it right that way.

daba 23:34 15 Mar 2007

"If your monitor has an auto adjust button suggest you use that rather than fiddle about with clock and phase settings. You will never get it right that way."

and what if it hasn't got "auto" ??? how does everyone else do it then ?

cider country bumpkin - not clear from my post - use "Auto" if available, otherwise go ahead and "fiddle about with clock and phase settings" until you get best results, you can always restore to original settings (write them down) if you don't get anywhere.

woodchip 23:46 15 Mar 2007

Convergence is out, but no idea how you set it on a TFT or LCD. For me I would take it back and get it swapped. On a old Crt monitor for the above you would adjust plates on the end of the tube. volts in side of a Crt in the region of 28.000 volts. so keep your fings out

ashdav 00:50 16 Mar 2007

"does this monitor have an "auto-adjust" feature, if it has, use it on all screen resolutions"
Pot calling the kettle black. Lighten up.

jtt 13:05 16 Mar 2007

Is there a degauss button - if so press this.

keef66 14:05 16 Mar 2007

you can't degauss a tft screen, nor do they rely on convergence. Try the cleartype fix. Also did you get any drivers to install with the monitor? Is it connected via digital or analogue?

My Samsung 205BW required installing drivers 3 times before it would accept the DVI input, but now it's crystal clear.

keef66 14:13 16 Mar 2007

click here

Yes, it has DVI input, so use that if the pc has DVI output.

and yes, it has Samsung drivers, based on my experience with the CD that came with the monitor I'd recommend downloading them from here and installing directly from the .exe file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone