TFT monitor with on-board graphics.

Legolas 18:16 21 Oct 2003

I have just read that running a TFT monitor with on-board graphics is not recommended as it degrades the picture quality of the monitor.

As I was going to use this setup for a system I am building for my brother, does anyone have experience of running a TFT with on-board graphics and if so did it affect the picture quality?

Sir Radfordin 18:28 21 Oct 2003

I though the Dell Optiplex range came in base spec with an onboard graphics card - have used them with TFT screens just fine.

Legolas 18:33 21 Oct 2003

Sir Radfordin, thanks for the reply. I have never used a TFT screen and know little about them so any info on this is welcome.

Djohn 18:34 21 Oct 2003

My B-in-Law bought one of the E-Machines from PC World last weekend. Excellent specs for the money, [£599.00] complete with speakers/Mouse/keyboard.

This has on-board Sound/Graphics and a 15" TFT monitor. No problems at all, looks really good and I was very impressed. My B-in-Law is over the moon with it. Regards. j.

woodchip 18:37 21 Oct 2003

It makes no difference if it will connect to graphics port

Legolas 18:39 21 Oct 2003

Thanks I am some way to feeling more confident about the TFT with on-board graphics after your replies. I never thought about the systems that supply both on-board graphics and a TFT so thanks for that.

Legolas 18:42 21 Oct 2003

woodchip I know that TFT's will work with on-board graphics but I had read that it can degrade the picture.

woodchip 21:29 21 Oct 2003

You need to make sure of the connector, that it will fit your comp monitor outlet. As they do vary

Legolas 22:57 21 Oct 2003

woodchip do they work ok with on-board graphics concerning the quality of the picture.

DieSse 10:09 22 Oct 2003

There is no difference as far as quality is concerned.

Of course different graphics chips, board7card designs may affect the picture - but it has nothing to do with whether it's on-noard or on-card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?