TFT guide?

jam_uk 16:55 11 Jan 2006

Hi,

When purchasing a TFT screen (19" +) What should you look for?

Response rate, contrast, brightness, make?

What is considered as good?

Thanks.

Totally-braindead 17:02 11 Jan 2006

I would google search for reviews and then would try PC World etc to see if I could see them to make sure I liked them. The faster response time in general the better. Mine is 12ms and its ok, but the newer ones are 8ms or faster, I've even seen one advertised as 4ms.
Also have a look at the PCA charts.

Stuartli 17:10 11 Jan 2006

The offspring's just got one of these - surprisingly it also comes with a DVI lead:

click here

Stuartli 17:11 11 Jan 2006

Ordered mid-afternoon on Monday and arrived just after 10-30am yesterday (Tuesday).

jam_uk 17:15 11 Jan 2006

Is this one any good?

click here

QuizMan 17:56 11 Jan 2006

I've just bought the Samsung SyncMaster 930BF as it was #1 in the PCA best buys. I can highly recommended it. I ordered from Dabs and got it the following morning. Perfect service.

jam_uk 18:09 11 Jan 2006

Hi guys thanks for the examples, but what I am really after is an explaination of what makes a good screen i.e. 8ms better is than 12ms?

Thanks.

Peter 18:24 11 Jan 2006

I think you may find some more information/oppinions about TFT screens by doing a search on this site.

From what I understand the faster speeds i.e. 8mS screeens are better than 25mS if you are using your system for fast moving games or DVDs, but the screen viewing angle usually gets narrower as the speed get faster.

Peter.

Stuartli 20:11 11 Jan 2006

>>is an explaination of what makes a good screen i.e. 8ms better is than 12ms?>>

This has little to do with "a good screen" - it's the reaction time to onscreen movement and the reduction of "blur". The smaller the number the faster the reaction time.

If you have a Staples near you then it should, if my store is a guide, have a range of working TFT monitors on display which will assist you in making a choice.

To find out about such monitors see:

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 20:18 11 Jan 2006

The first paragraph of this link will make you gasp(!):

click here

jam_uk 21:05 11 Jan 2006

thanks for everyones input, great info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?