TFT 16/9 or 4/3

[email protected] 15:43 16 Nov 2006

Just about to buy a new monitor, and a promo has come up which is very good value for the money but it's 16/9 format. Great for films and PC in general I suppose but I use my PC for Flight Simulator a lot. Just wondered whether the 16/9 format is a good idea as I hardly ever watch DVD films on my PC?
Any simmers out there care to comment. I know this is not a gamers forum but it's about screens really ;-)

Gongoozler 16:18 16 Nov 2006

Don't forget that the screen is defined by the diagonal dimension, so, for example, a 17inch 16x9 will have less height than a 17inch 4x3

Gongoozler 16:28 16 Nov 2006

I just did a couple of sums. A 17inch 16x9 will be 8.3 inches high 14.8 inches wide, a 17inch 4x3 will be 10 inches high and 13.6 inches high.

[email protected] 16:41 16 Nov 2006

Hi Gongoozler. I have to admit I am happy with the squarish screen of the old format - just love my DiamondPro but it's on the blink and a repair looks out of the question (not cost effective). I am just a bit concerned the simulator format may look a bit naff in the middle of a wide-view screen, or am I worrying too much? My existing monitor is 19 and wouldn't go smaller. The TFT on offer is also 19.

Gongoozler 16:53 16 Nov 2006

Hi [email protected] If your 4x3 format Flight Simulator is your favourite application, then I think a 4x3 format monitor is the way to go. From my calculation a 19inch 16x9 will be 9.27 inches high, i.e. less height than a 4x3 17inch, whereas a 19inch 4x3 will give you an extra inch in height.

[email protected] 16:59 16 Nov 2006

Reckon you're right. It's just that the new style screens look so tasty but they have to be chosen for the job they will do. I just wondered if anyone uses a 16/9 for games and in particular Flt Sim.

Rigga 17:16 16 Nov 2006

Is it a recent flight sim? If so it would more than likely have 16/9 resolutions available once the new monitor is installed.

If it's an older flight sim, or you just want more info for games, take a look here > click here <

I use a 16/10 monitor for playing games and it is excellent.

R.

Gongoozler 17:19 16 Nov 2006

They look good, and it's no surprise that the manufacturers like selling them, for the same diagonal size they have 12% less screen area. I don't run Flight Simulator, so I'll sit out the rest of this thread and let someone who does play have a say ;-).

[email protected] 20:56 16 Nov 2006

Hi Rigga, thanks for the input. What I was really after was something like "not much difference really - your game window just sits in the middle of your monitor with spare screen each side"!!!. Are you saying that some games come 16/9 ready? I don't play games as such so that aspect in not interesting. My simulator is FS9 which is a couple of years old. When flown full-screen it is just that, full screen. I assume if it were on 16/9 and full-screen option was chosen all the instruments would be horizontal ovals!

Rigga 21:01 16 Nov 2006

[email protected]

I think fs9 is compatible with widescreen monitors, without any black bars.

I found this doing a google, it mentions fs9 and no widescreen problems.> click here <

All the games I play all play fine with no black bars, a bit like widescreen TV broadcasts instead of 4:3 broadcast, you just see a little more. :)

HTH. R.

[email protected] 21:02 16 Nov 2006

OK Rigga, thanks for the advice and links. Much obliged ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?