Text Wrap Problem

Pesala 18:44 24 Oct 2003

A simple question, I hope. What can I do to prevent dates from being broken by text wrap?

If I type a date in the form (25/9/2003) it is liable to wrap at the forward slash as (25/9/

2003)

I tried using hyphens instead, with the same result, i.e. (25-9-

2003)

Taran 18:59 24 Oct 2003

Is that in standard page text using NetObjects as your editor or as part of a long URL string ?

Pesala 19:01 24 Oct 2003

Added PDF for ?A Manual of the Excellent Man ? by Venerable Ledi Say?daw (25-9-2003)

click here

Taran 19:17 24 Oct 2003

It isn't wrapped in IE 6 or FireBird running at 1024x768 or 800x600

Nor sure what's going on there, but there's no problem with wrapping as far as I can see.

T

Taran 19:19 24 Oct 2003

There's no wrapping at all on any entry on that page in the browsers and resolutions I mentioned above.

Pesala 19:38 24 Oct 2003

I've posted a question on the Opera Forum. I suspect that they designed it to deal with long URLs, but neglected to say what to do with dates.

Taran 19:53 24 Oct 2003

I break very long URLs up with a percentage sign % which has the effect of putting a single return in the line. Seriously long addresses (like some of those on the IBM Lotus Smartsuite support site) may be broken up with two or more % splices.

As you say, it seems Opera is to blame. Despite my fondness for many of its features I no longer keep Opera on any of my systems, not even for site testing purposes. I play with Opera whenever a new release comes out, but that's as far as it goes.

I normally build in what I know are 'safe' features to the sites I work on. This comes with experience and over time you get a strong sense of what can and cannot work consistently over different browsers. I came to the reluctant conclusion some time ago that until many of the issues Opera seems to have are ironed out I can no longer spend any serious time using it for daily use.

I test unusual site designs in IE, NetScape and sometimes Firebird on Windows, and IE and Jaguar on the Mac. If the results are consistent, that's good enough for me. This is not meant to be critical of Opera's userbase; more of some of the fundamental issues it has with what should be simple code rendering.

Regards

Taran

Taran 19:55 24 Oct 2003

Web browsers normally interpret the % sign in a web address as a single space; the equivalent of hitting your spacebar once, so they effectively ignore the % sign hence it is useful for breaking up URLs.

It won't work for text for obvious reasons.

Pesala 20:03 24 Oct 2003

You're right. It is a design flaw in Opera. It is meant to break the line at slash and hyphen. I tried an en-dash, but that breaks too.

Opera users will have to put up with these problems. Opera Software seems to have their heads in the clouds on some issues. For many other reasons, I still prefer it to Internet Explorer.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:06 25 Oct 2003

is due to the length of a URL, you can always change it to a shorter one at click here which may fit the line without breaking it.

Taran 00:22 25 Oct 2003

The problem is not related to displaying links, it is an issue with displaying dates as text, divided by a / or - sign.

There are ways in which web browsing software deals with a long web address.

Opera seems to have this built into how it handles long text or text with dividing elements that are often used in long URLs.

As far as Opera is concerned it's the right interpretation; unfortunately, it is used at the wrong time.

A software bug.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?