Text in some programs very small Windows 7

aidan56 12:16 28 Nov 2009

When I open some programs on my laptop using windows 7 the box is sometmes very small with text that is virtually unreadable. Other programs open with the correct size box (full screen) but the text is very small. Other programs open properly with the box occupying the full screen and the text the normal size. I have also noticed that the text that appears when shutting down the laptop is the normal size I have set, but the welcome screen text with the user icon etc, is once again very small. One example of a program is frostwire which I have just downloaded. The box opens to full screen but the text within it is very small indeed. Can anyone help please

User-1229748 12:20 28 Nov 2009

try going to display then on the left adjust cleartype text

mooly 13:20 28 Nov 2009

This might help you, read it all,
click here

It was for Vista.

In a nutshell, you must the "native" resolution of the display to get the clearest image.
The DPI (dots per inch) setting enables you to increase text size wih no loss of sharpness.
If web pages are to small use the "text size" option from IE8 "page" tab on the toolbar together with the "zoom" option at the bottom right. I use medium text and 125% zoom for IE8 with a 144 dpi setting.

mooly 13:22 28 Nov 2009

The use "xp scaling" bit was vital to get pin sharp text on MS Works etc.

aidan56 13:49 28 Nov 2009

Thank you smackheadz and mooly. I have been through the cleartype text procedures and also text size, and the clarity and text size on most programs is good. Perhaps it is just Frostwire, where all the text within the box is almost too small to read. Also as I mentioned earlier when I am shutting down windows the words on the screen "shutting down" and "windows 7 ultimate" are the normal size text but on rebooting the "starting windows" text is normal but is then followed by a very small mouse arrowhead and the size of text for "plesase wait" and "welcome" is very small indeed. Incidentally I have no trouble with the web pages on IE8. I wonder if the startup very small text has the same root cause as the Frostwire text. Perhaps I am being too critical with the startup text problem and as for Frostwire will have to abandon it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?