text file comparison

jimmybond 12:00 20 Jun 2008

Hi,

Does anyone know - Is there a free tool that I can download, that will compare the contents of two text files, and give me a figure for % of content match between them?

Thanks!

jimmybond 12:05 20 Jun 2008

sorry I should probably add that I work for a University, and I need to compare two student papers for suspected collusion.
I have already run them through plagiarism detection software, however this includes links to external sources such as databases/internet resources in the report, as well as the 2 submitted papers.
I need an exact % match between the content of the 2 if poss?!

Covergirl 12:40 20 Jun 2008

I don't know if there's a Windows version of this type of utility - probably, but I used to use COMP /a through a DOS prompt.

Use Windows key & R to get the Run box then type CMD and enter.

In the DOS box (or command Prompt)find the folder with your files in

Type comp /a (enter)
input first filename (enter)
input 2nd filename (enter)
and it will come back with a list of errors.

The results aren't particularly user firendly but unless someone can suggest something better . . .

Covergirl 12:41 20 Jun 2008

Sorry, just read the 2nd post and comp /a won't help you much in the analysis you require.

Covergirl 12:43 20 Jun 2008

Try a Google search click here=
Just try one or two of the suggestions from this search

I can't recommend anything sorry - it's out of my territory. Hopefully someone else can.

QuizMan 12:54 20 Jun 2008

If you have access to Microsoft Word, that has a document comparison facility. However, it will not provide the statistics you need, merely showing where the differences lie.

jimmybond 13:06 20 Jun 2008

ok thanks for looking guys - covergirl I think the suggested links in your search results may do the same thing, they'll highlight any similarities in the documents, but won't give statistics.

wiz-king 13:34 20 Jun 2008

Try this link click here they may know of something to fit your requirments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache