Text is in code. How can I convert it

Bingalau 19:36 19 Apr 2005

Once again I find I am needing the help of you good people out there! I have just bought a new P.C and am on Windows XP. I transferred as many bits and pieces as I could onto c.d's and was hoping that it was just a matter of sticking them in the DVD drive of the new computer and transfering them back into/onto their respective places or near enough. This worked for some of the bits and pieces, but not all. I now find I have a few which just consist of what I call codes. but there's probably a technical name for it. In non-technical terms please (nice and simple too please, 'cos I am a bit thick)...How can I get these translated and made readable? Bingalau..

bremner 19:40 19 Apr 2005

It is probably just a case of installing the program that the files relate to.

What is the file extension of the files that you can not read. i.e. the bit after the file name like expenses.doc (doc is the file extension)

Bingalau 19:53 19 Apr 2005

Thanks for speedy reply! Some of them are .doc /some are .dot /and some are .xlr / Some of the .doc /ones have come out as I had envisaged, but others with the same file extension haven't? There are probably other file types that I have not looked at yet, having been put off my stroke by this little set-back.
Bingalau

VoG II 19:55 19 Apr 2005

You need to install Microsoft Works.

Bingalau 20:20 19 Apr 2005

I thought that works was already installed. I shall now have a shuffti and if it isn't I will put it in, if I can find out how and where it is. I think it is on the disk that came with the machine. Yes it says "Works 8" So I will report back in due course. But I don't want to rush into it, as I am due to go out tonight for a couple of pints of the liquid amber. Still got half an hour yet though, hope that's enough time..Thanks for the info. yet again...Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?