Text appearing without inputting

jhm 17:39 14 Dec 2004

Running XP Pro, intermittantly the number 4(in bold) starts up and won't stop, everywhere where text canbe inputted ie Word docs and log-in pages. Have tried to replicate fault using Safe mode and Notepad but no success which makes me suspect software prob. Can't pin it down to any application though. On boot-up and logon where or who produces the text to enter username and password, if OS perhaps repair through recovery console will clear or do you know different???

Jeffers22 18:07 14 Dec 2004

Try with a different keyboard. If it doesn't happen you could deduce that one of the 4 keys has a fault - anything from sticking or a largish trapped crumb to an electronic fault in the contact.

If that does not cure it then you may have a virus problem - though I've not heard of one that does this.

jhm 18:12 14 Dec 2004

Sorry didn't say it was a laptop and have checked for stuck key. It will start to work even if the key has not been pushed

Jeffers22 18:21 14 Dec 2004

You could still try it with an external keyboard if it has a PS2 connector. I'm not sure but I think some laptops turn off the built in keyboard if an external one is attached. If not you could disable it for the test purposes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?