test.ocx

anchor 12:03 31 Jan 2004

I have just done a scan of my hard disc with Norton A/V 2004, (with the latest definition file).

It reported that test.ocx was present, and is a security risk. It recommended deletion, but was unable to do it. A search of the Norton knowledge base failed to give any info: on this file. A scan done by Housecall showed no problem.

Can anyone enlighten me further?.

Big Elf 12:22 31 Jan 2004

I found this click here

Maybe running AdAware or Spybot might help.

Big Elf 12:23 31 Jan 2004

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

SpywareBlaster click here

VoG II 12:33 31 Jan 2004

It MAY be associated with a trojan downloader.dia.a but I can't find much sensible information on this. It might be worth running a trojan scanner click here click here

anchor 16:41 31 Jan 2004

Thanks for your replies. Just tried a Trojan scan with Trojan Remover, and it found nothing.

Big Elf 17:34 31 Jan 2004

Try the others as well if you can. Some programs miss things. I couldn't find enough information on Google to suggest whether it was a serious threat or a minor annoyance.

Eastender 23:49 31 Jan 2004

Have you had a go at programming? cos I think the file extension OCX is used in VB and C++ with Active X.

Gaz 25 00:42 01 Feb 2004

This is Bridge spyware, there are removal instructions on the Pest Patrol website.

W32/Bridge.Spyware

anchor 15:45 01 Feb 2004

Thanks again. No, I have not been doing any programming, (would`nt know how anyway).

Gaz 25: been to the pest control site, but could not find any reference to test.ocx. I found a number of refs: to Bridge spyware, but nothing specific. Also tried a search for W32/Bridge.Spyware with no result. Can you point me in the right direction please.

By the way, just done an on-line scan with McAfee, all clear. Is Norton over-reacting?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)