testing line to exchange

howard64 17:19 06 Feb 2009

My cousin has lost the broadband connection - pipex say everything tests ok the phone is working ok. I once heard about a test you can do to check your modem to the exchange but cannot remember it. It was something like bt_test but cannot remember the rest or how to do it. Could someone remind me please. The modem is solidly showing the green light for adsl connection but nothing is working. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

woodchip 17:23 06 Feb 2009

Try turning the Modem Router Off then Back on after two minutes

howard64 17:25 06 Feb 2009

tried this many times no joy. The lights indicate everything is working ok but it isnt.

Taff™ 17:40 06 Feb 2009

The test you are thinking of may not work on a line service not billed by BT. You`ll find it lower down on this link click here

I`d try switching off the firewall temporarily and use IE without add on`s from Accessories>System Tools.

Diemmess 17:46 06 Feb 2009

Two test programs though I doubt if either will show what's wrong. click here should show you your computer's download speed.

A more serious one that my not run because of an evening overload of the site click here
Seems to be used by BT and others to show maximum your setup could achieve, and what it is actually configured to do at the moments of the test.

^wave^ 18:24 06 Feb 2009

first things is it wireless or wired can he get to his routers admin if he cannot problem is pc to router if can try to ping bbc.co.uk

howard64 18:45 06 Feb 2009

it is wired and yes can get into router admin. Ping just times out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone