Testing a hard drive backup

surreyfrog1 11:21 04 Nov 2008

Hi there

after a mini-scare with my laptop I have bought an external hard drive for backing up the system,

The drive came with Nero backitup 2, which I used to create a backup of my entire c drive.

My question is - given that I don't know how reliable the Nero backup software is, can I test it to see if it will actually do a successful restore?

Many thanks

Technotiger 11:34 04 Nov 2008

Hi, I have had a quick Google re your question, but all I can find are items saying how reliable Nero Backitup is etc etc, but have not seen any unbiased opinions/reviews, nor could I see anything about testing your Archive.

Acronis, which I use, does have a Testing ability, to check the integrity of the backup.

surreyfrog1 08:37 05 Nov 2008

Ah, thanks for that. I hadn't realised it might be possible to verify a backup, without actually doing a restore from it.

Turns out that the free version of backitup doesn't have the facility to verify a backup. But I found a free piece of software tyat does, it's Paragon Express, which I have just tried - it is faster than Nero and allowed me to verify the backup it made. I shall be sticking to that!

Thanks again

Technotiger 09:08 05 Nov 2008

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?