Terrible sound from new Dvd rom

SB23 18:44 24 Oct 2006

Although my new Dvd rom is now working, reading discs etc, the sound is terrible from dvd films. The picture is brilliant, but does anyone know what I can do with the sound, as its very distorted, and choppy?
I'm using Cyberlink to play them, but was wondering if there's a conflict somewhere along the line between this and WMp11.
I've also checked my sound settings (Creative) but cannot find an answer.

Any ideas?

Steve

rodriguez 18:49 24 Oct 2006

Try copying the files from a DVD that ISN'T copy protected to a folder on the hard drive (files from copy protected discs are encrypted and won't play from a hard drive as it will be scrambled). If the sound is still choppy, it could be a problem with the codec, so try downloading another MPEG2 codec and/or software DVD player. If the sound is fine from the hard drive, then it could be a read error so try cleaning the disc and the drive's laser lens (you can get cleaning kits that clean the drive's laser so you don't need to open it up).

Stuartli 20:11 24 Oct 2006

Open Windows Media Player>Tools>Options>Devices tab>highlight your optical drive(s) and Enable digital playback.

SB23 19:02 27 Oct 2006

The sound problem has been sorted. By looking at other posts on similar problems, I realised that a reset of the DMA settings was called for.
For some reason the drives had fallen back to Pio mode, (even putting new drives in didn't help).
I don't pretend to understand all of this but its worked. Sound is clear and normal sounding.

These settings can be found under device manager, looking for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and changing the properties.

You can also download a script to do this for you from here, click here.

Thanks all

Steve

Stuartli 19:50 27 Oct 2006

Be honest. You hadn't thrown away your Richard Clayderman CDs...:-)

SB23 12:05 28 Oct 2006

Lol, I was waiting to sort the drives out before I played them!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?