Terms used for WiFi Equipment

  MedMan 15:13 30 Jan 2005


I am looking for a better device to enable me to use WiFi on my laptop when touring as I have found that a simple PCMCIA Card is often not good enough. When I started looking at something that would plug into my RJ-45 port I started to run into a confusion of terms. I have variously found the terms:

'Adaptor' (sometimes spelt Adapter)
'Access Point'

Are all three of these really the same thing? If not, what are the differences? Which am I looking for?

  JaßîsFaß ˜ 15:45 30 Jan 2005

Glossary >
click here

  JaßîsFaß ˜ 15:54 30 Jan 2005

Same site but if you are thinking of a wireless network
click here

  MedMan 18:08 30 Jan 2005

Thanks for the Links - they're just what I needed.

  JaßîsFaß ˜ 10:50 31 Jan 2005

No problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?