Temporary printer uninstall

Pineman100 14:03 30 Apr 2008

A friend who lives a long way away wants to get rid of his old Canon printer and install a new HP one on his Vista Home Premium computer. He's asked for my help.

He's not at all computer-savvy, so I want to try and make the uninstallation as simple as possible for him, and then complete the clean-up job when I next visit him.

My plan, therefore, is simply to get him to go into Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Printers, right-click on the icon for the Canon printer and then click Delete.

I will then get him to install the HP sofware and finally connect the HP printer.

At a later date, I can then uninstall any Canon software on the computer.

Can anyone see any flaws in this method, please? If so, what would you recommend (remembering my friend's extreme lack of computer-literacy).

Many thanks for any advice.

Technotiger 14:06 30 Apr 2008

I would advise, at least until you can sort it yourself, to leave the old printer software in place. It should not make any difference. I have five printers in Control Panel>Printers and Faxes - some I use, some I don't.

Pineman100 14:25 30 Apr 2008

... so just get him to install the new printer and set it as default?

Presumably it won't matter if the Canon has been disconnected from the computer?

Technotiger 14:46 30 Apr 2008

Correct!

Technotiger 14:47 30 Apr 2008

Correct again - I meant to add that the first time :-)

Pineman100 14:55 30 Apr 2008

Chalk up another happy customer!

Much obliged.

Technotiger 14:58 30 Apr 2008

Grreat, thanks for the feedback - I like the easy ones :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone