Temporary Internet Files - Folder corruption

Muckle 22:32 24 Feb 2005

I have a laptop running XP Pro SP2 that has performed adequately until 2 days ago when it started slowing down especially on the Internet. I tried a system restore to last weekend because of a windows update this week, but it seems to be getting worse.
Tonight I decided to check out the settings under Internet Options and there is no path defined under current location for the Temp Int Files folder, the 'amount of disk space to use' slider makes no difference when moved, and the up arrows will only go up to 10MB. When I type in a figure and click OK I get a message to choose a value between 1 and 0.
Other features of the slowing are that I get programme not responding messages when shutting down the computer and if I manage to open IE it shows as using 98% of system resources in task manager!
Any ideas what may have caused this or what I can do to put it right?

VoG II 22:38 24 Feb 2005

Try CleanUp! click here

Buchan 35 22:59 24 Feb 2005

Hi, VoG`s suggestion is spot on but have you not tried Start>Accessories>System tools>Disc Cleanup. I do every night before closing down and believe me the amount of rubbish on Temp. I`net Files is unbelievable. Give it a go, mate.

Muckle 23:03 24 Feb 2005

Thanks VoG, but CleanUp! wouldn't run beyond clicking the CleanUp! button - it returned an error message 'encountered a problem and needs to close'.
I'm stumped with this one!

Muckle 23:14 24 Feb 2005

Just tried it Buchan 35, but temporary Internet files wasn't even in the list.

Buchan 35 23:36 24 Feb 2005

Hi again, try Control Panel>Internet options> Delete Cookies and then click on the OK of the panel that pops up, go back and Delete Files and repeat the click on OK then wait a short while and click OK on the main panel. I`m very surprised that Disc Cleanup did`nt do the biz. How much did it clear?

Jak_1 23:47 24 Feb 2005

If temp internet files folder is full it can take a long time to empty and sometimes hangs up. Try deleteing by hand a screenfull or two at a time for 3 or 4 times and then revert back to standard method.

Muckle 23:49 24 Feb 2005

Started up in safe mode and everything worked fine - CleanUp! ran as did various other utilities. I could also see the path for the folders and alter the size.
Rebooted normally and hey presto everything works fine - wonders will never cease!
Thanks for the help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017