Temporary Internet Files

Mclearns Bald 18:50 09 Oct 2007

I've just deleted my 'TIF' folder. Which must have had about a few MBs of files and then had a look at the 'Properties'. It said that the size of the folder was 5.3GB and that there was 2,104 files and 87 folders. I also seleted 'View Hidden files and folders'in the options folder. Can someone please explain this anomaly?

rawprawn 19:07 09 Oct 2007

Have you rebooted since deleting?

john bunyan 19:20 09 Oct 2007

have you more than on "User"? I think the TIF folder may be in more than one place. Suggest a search in Windows Explorer for all files with name "Temporary internet files" on c drive.

wee eddie 21:05 09 Oct 2007

Temporary Internet Files or was the Folder really called "TIF"?

One usually deletes the files but not the Folder and IE has a very efficient way of doing it.

There are other types of .tmp files which one can clear.

I would check what the content of your 'TIF' Folder really is, before you clear your Recycle Bin

Mclearns Bald 20:14 11 Oct 2007

Yes I re-booted and the TIF is still the same size.
There is only one user and only one TIF.
Yes TIF is an acronym for Temporary Internet.

I will now go and download 'Ccleaner' and see if it makes any difference.

BTW I know that the following question will not solve my initial query, but just of of general interest: does any of the cache memory use up part of the virtual memory and would any of its contents go into either cookies or TIF?

Mclearns Bald 20:21 11 Oct 2007

Cclear has done the job! Thanks Marg7.

Jak_1 20:24 11 Oct 2007

It uses physical hdd space, it does not use memory neither virtual nor physical!
As a matter of interest, what method did you use to delete temp internet files? Also the space is only recovered after a re-boot.

Mclearns Bald 17:33 15 Oct 2007

Jak_1 the method I used to delete temp internet files was to go into 'Local Settings' and open up TIF click on 'Edit', 'Select All' and press 'Delete' key.

john bunyan 17:42 15 Oct 2007

Mclearns Bald.
If you dont use Ccleaner, while in Internet Explorer, go to "Tools" then "Internet Options" then "Delete" then Delete "Cookies" and/or "Temp Internet Files" and/or "History". Seems to work better tha deleting via Windows explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?