Temporary Folders

ponytail 08:21 04 May 2009

Whenever I download something it says downloading to temporary folder.Where do I find the temporary folders and is it ok toempty them.

Sea Urchin 08:52 04 May 2009

If you are using IE then go to Tools/Internet Options and on the General tab under Browsing History you can delete Temporary Files etc.

Similar in other browsers.

bremner 09:26 04 May 2009

The Temporary Internet Files Folder Sea Urchin refers to is unlikely to be the folder that specific downloads are saved into.

That is usually C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp.

However this folder should automatically be emptied when the installation relating to the download is complete. This sometimes fails and manual deletion is required.

Wak 09:53 04 May 2009

If you download and install the FREE CCleaner program, it will delete all temporary files each time you boot up if you tell it to.

DieSse 10:08 04 May 2009

"Whenever I download something it says downloading to temporary folder."

You have the choice of where files download to. In IE when you click "Save" to save a download, it actually asks you where you want it to go. In Firefox, you define it in the options.

I don't know any browser that automatically downloads to a temporary folder - can you explain further please.

bremner 10:20 04 May 2009

When you download an application - you are often prompted to save or run the download. If you chooose save you can direct it to where to save.

If you choose 'run' the download is downloaded to a temp folder normally C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp from where it is automatically opened and installed.

You can see the message "Downloading to temporary folder" during this process.

DieSse 18:04 04 May 2009

Right - I guess that's because I always choose "save" rather than "run". It means I've always got a copy of the download maybe to give someone else, or run later when I've taken some precautions first.

A safer way of doing things, IMHO.

PhiltheFragger 21:33 04 May 2009

do a disc clean up occasionally
right click the C drive in my computer, properties, disc cleanup.

let it scan

Feel free to delete anything that says temprary in the name

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone