Temporary change of PC on broadband

no-name 14:51 14 Oct 2004

I'm on NTL broadband via a set-top box and connected by USB.

I have a laptop and want to download some programs. Sounds a silly question but:

Can I just unplug the PC USB and plug it into the laptop and still be connected? If not:

Will I have to load the broadband installer onto the laptop as I did with the PC? If so:

How will this affect the PC when I reconnect it?

I don't really want to download via the PC to disc and then transfer them to the laptop.

grey george 15:33 14 Oct 2004

Use the broadband installer on your laptop but make sure you use the same settings as your PC.
Your username and password must be the same.
Once you have finished, your PC should be able to be reconnected with no problems.

Do make sure that your laptop has the same security precautions as your PC. Antivirus/firewall and adblockers.

spanneress 16:06 14 Oct 2004

Yup - I am on NTL broadband and being a true geek have several computers networked in my house..but before I did this wirelessly, I used to plug the BB at will between a laptop and PC...just make sure you run the software and away you go.. I change from USB to ethernet connection too depending on what is to hand...you should have no problems.

no-name 16:39 14 Oct 2004

Thanks very much grey george and spanneress, now I know what to do when I take delivery of the new laptop (my post should have read 'will have a laptop' - it arrives on Tuesday).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?