from time to time I loose wireless connection
suddenly and for no apparent reason
in the task bar I get a small red cross
against the connected symbol

it will not repair, it will only reconnect
as new when rebooted

what could be the problem please ?

Taff™ 12:12 16 Oct 2008

First thought is change your broadcast channel. If a close neighbour has a wireless router broadcasting on the same channel you will interfere with each other and this would explain the sudden drop out and the inability to reconnect immediately. Also a microwave oven being turned on, or a DECT phone in use could theoretically have the same effect.

jarani 12:17 16 Oct 2008

Taff - thank you
when I try to investigate
I get a message - "no networks within the range"
which is patently not true

Rahere 12:42 16 Oct 2008

Tray all the suggestions above but also try moving the router to a more central point or even higher the house/building in the getting if you can - while this is not alwayts practical you'd be surprised how many girders/lintels, steel sided cabinets there are in the way.

Have you tried installing the most recent drivers for your wireless card too?

jarani 14:20 16 Oct 2008

Rahere - thank you - will try all these

User-1229748 14:48 16 Oct 2008

my lappy is six foot from my bedroom window and normally can pick up a neighbors wireless connection,but if i put my lappy on the window ledge it's incredible,can pick up normally between 8 to 12 connections with some having enough bars so as i could get a stable connection.hope you get your problem sorted jarani :o)

Taff™ 07:51 17 Oct 2008

I suggest you log in to the router and change the wireless channel anyway to see if it makes a difference. Default for a lot of routers is channel 6 - move up or down 3 channels, save your changes and re-boot the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?