Temp Excel files

ew23 12:47 10 Sep 2007

A newbie here, with a problem arising from my own stupidity.

I run Windows Vista, and daily use three different Excel 2003 files (although operating under Excel 2007) for various data & info.

Two days ago, there was a problem saving file H as I was closing down late at night, and the end result wqas, using "Save As", I saved it as an over-written file, not using the file name "H", as I should have done, but using the file name "D", which was the one that Save As suggested. I was tired, and didn't check carefully what I was doing. Seconds later, by which point Excel and file H are closed down, and I realise what I've done. File D, now overwritten with the data from file H, as luck would have it, is the largest file.

No problem, I think. I use Carbonite on-line back-up, so I would just need to restore the latest back-up from there. Only problem is that Carbonite for some reason (unprompted by me), has instantly backed up the new file D, rather than waiting the usual delay period so that solution is gone. My last hard-disk back-up was around 4 weeks ago. Recovery in Excel, when I opened it back up clearly does not give me any assistance.

I know that there is no way of recovering over-written files like this. However, in the last couple of weeks, I have had a number of crashes, and I have a Temp file full of hundreds of .tmp files. I am sure that amongst these there must be a slightly older version of my D file.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I identify the necessary .tmp file? Is there any form of naming convention that Windows uses in creating .tmp files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?