tell how to check volume control in win98se plz

second best 17:37 26 Feb 2004

hi i have just gave my old system to my dad and he cant get any sound, i want to chekc the mute isnt checked. but i cant fid it, its ove rth ephone ,b ut i dont use 98 anymore

second best 17:44 26 Feb 2004

start, programs, accessories, volume control is there, but does not open, nothing happens.

Valvegrid 17:48 26 Feb 2004

Go into start, programs, entertainment again and right mouse click on the volume control icon and see if it points to: C:\WINDOWS\SNDVOL32.EXE

Valvegrid 17:49 26 Feb 2004

I should say go down to properties in the menu that opens by the way.

If volume control is greyed out, a sound card is not installed.

Note that if you formatted and re-installed Win 98, you will have to re-install the sound card drivers.

woodchip 19:25 26 Feb 2004

just double click the speaker in the system tray and have a look in there at the options also

second best 21:07 26 Feb 2004

thanks all, but there is no speaker icon in taskbar, that's what i'm looking for. he has tried sndvol32.exe in the run command, but nothing happens. like i say, if he goes to accessories and entertainment, the sound icon is there, but nothing happens.

woodchip 22:10 26 Feb 2004

Have a look in Device Manager if there is yellow icon try updating the drivers with the sound drivers CD if it's yellow for sound

Robotic_Rob 23:29 26 Feb 2004

a way to get it in the task bar would be to go 2 my computer - control panel - multimedia - audio n check the volumer control in task bar.

second best 23:59 26 Feb 2004

hi, no icons in the device manager, but i know what you're talking about, i've checked for that. drivers for system board have been installed twice already, uninstall install. all i can think of is it has somehow been muted. i have had this happen before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone