Telewest(VirginMedia )cable and Netgear DG834G

No idea 18:33 12 Mar 2007

Hello folks, Have been using my netgear wireless router with no problems, however having just moved house I now have a Virgin media broadband cable connection, is the Netgear ASDL wireless modem router now defunct or can I use it in conjunction with the cable connection, the imput cable goes ito a Webstar modem. On this modem there are the following 4 connections 1-Power 2-Cable imput 3-usb connection 4- ethernet connector.
I need to provide a wireless access point for my laptop.

De Marcus™ 20:25 12 Mar 2007

You'll need to replace your Netgear with a DSL model.

No idea 21:16 12 Mar 2007

Thank you for your reply, I take it then adsl and dsl are two different technologies and one is not compatible with the other. Have you any ideas on compatible products?

De Marcus™ 21:27 12 Mar 2007

ADSL routers have the modem built in, DSL routers do not, that's the biggest difference.

If you've found Netgear reliable stick with them, it'll help when you setup the new one, albeit DSL routers are easier to setup.

Here's a few suggestions:

click here

click here

click here

No idea 21:44 12 Mar 2007

Thank you once again for your response, I will explore the links, all the best

mgmcc 11:55 13 Mar 2007

<<< I take it then adsl and dsl are two different technologies and one is not compatible with the other >>>

Just for information, "no" they aren't actually different. ADSL (Asymmetric DSL) and SDSL (Symmetric DSL) are DSL variants. The problem is that, in the UK, ADSL uses PPPoA protocol to connect, whereas Cable/DSL routers only support PPPoE protocol. In the US this isn't a problem because their DSL uses PPPoE and so a Cable/DSL router can be used with a separate Ethernet DSL Modem. In the UK, to overcome the PPPoA issue, a combined Router & ADSL Modem has to be used. UK Cable broadband uses an ethernet modem and doesn't use PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) at all to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?