Telewest Cable and Wireless Broadband

Taff36 17:05 27 Jul 2005

Business associate has a Telewest Broadband connection that works with the Motorola SB5100 Surfboard modem supplied. He has just been given a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop by his company and now wants to spend the summer working in the garden.

I have never set up a cable modem with a wireless router only Wireless routers with ADSL modems.Anyone actually done it and can you point me in the right direction for web links.

I`ll be away from the computer for a while but check back later. Thanks in anticipation.

Taff36 17:10 27 Jul 2005

The laptop has Norton Internet Security 2005 installed and he has been warned that this may be an issue by Telewest.

SEASHANTY 17:17 27 Jul 2005

I just use the Linksys wired router BEFSR41 to connect my three PC's to the internet on NTL 2MB cable broadband using the standalone cable modem. Don't have a laptop. Probably this router I have linked to would be the ideal wireless model you need with a laptop. It links to a guide for install etc.,
click here

martjc 18:04 27 Jul 2005

...but remember, if you daisy chain a wireless router with a wired one, the subnet mask must be set up so it's identical to the wired one.

Taff36 08:26 28 Jul 2005

Thanks both. Do you have a link to a set of instructions for the settings with Telewest or this Motorolla modem?

SEASHANTY 12:01 28 Jul 2005

With NTL you just need to clone into the router the Mac address of the ethernet card in the PC first connected to the NTL cable modem. (Mine is an Ambit International modem). Doing it that way saved re-registering the routers own Mac address altho I don't think that its strictly necessary nowadays. The wired router I have has an internal browser and the wizard did the rest of the config. This Linksys router has now been in use for almost three years now with no problems. Robin Walker's website covers both NTL and Telewest
click here

Taff36 12:12 28 Jul 2005

Thanks - Spot on!

BH34 12:15 28 Jul 2005

try this to Taff36 click here

Taff36 14:31 28 Jul 2005

Another great link - Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?