telewest beginers guide HELP

kspatto 00:39 06 Sep 2006

Hi
first of all please excuse my ignorance but I have neither telewest or wireless on my setup(have been asked for advice by aunt[why me???])
from what I have read so far telewest is a cable company so I am assuming that she will need a wireless DSL router (she has the connection in a different room to her PC)please correct me if I am wrong but would this click here item cover all her needs and what is the setup ie is their modem plugged in then you connct the wireless router to their modem and plug in the USB adapter to the PC you wish to connect to then run a network wizard like connecting a normal router or is there some other config an idiots link to a decent website would be handy
thanks again to any and all

De Marcus™ 09:57 06 Sep 2006

You have everything in good order, apart from the initial setup, this should be done wired, i.e. with a cable. Trying to setup the router over a wireless connection more often than not crashes the router, which then needs a hard reset via (usually) a small button on the back. Routers generally come with a cable for setting up so this shouldn't be a problem. Moving the pc so it's close enough is a bit of a pain if the supplied cable isn't long enough.

Once you've setup wireless access/security you can unplug the wired connection and off you go.

Strawballs 12:31 06 Sep 2006

The easiest way if you don't want to buy a long cable is if you or someone you know has a laptop which can be connected direct fom beside the router. Most come with a setup disc and if it asks about IP you will need to click on dynamic ip.

kspatto 15:08 06 Sep 2006

thanks all you have put my mind at rest didnt want to tell them to buy the wrong gear
thanks again
ken

Strawballs 20:07 06 Sep 2006

your welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires