TELEPHONY ON COMPUTOR

dagrat 09:55 11 Jan 2007

Hi there, first time user,

could anyone help me, I have windows xp home edition and i want to install a method of recording my phone calls and an answerphone feature.
Im not sure which software i have to install and if i need to install any new hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated.

anskyber 10:26 11 Jan 2007

Skype will do that but it is not a free extra. Its the "Pamela" recording extra.

dagrat 10:37 11 Jan 2007

Thanks for the response anskyber,

Im not too bothered about a free extra just want a reliable set up and advice as to which software.

The other question i have is the modem, I have broadband and the modem is an external thomson 576,
Would i have to change this? (might sound a stupid question) and is it just a matter of installing the software?

Technotiger 10:41 11 Jan 2007

Hi, welcome to the Forum - there is no such thing as a stupid question here ... your modem is fine, all you need to do is download and install Skype to begin with ...

click here

dagrat 10:42 11 Jan 2007

With skype am i right in assuming that this only works from one skype phone to another?
I was thinking more about a general answerphone on my p.c. receiving calls from any land line.

Technotiger 10:44 11 Jan 2007

PS - once Skype is installed, only takes a minute or two, click on Tools and then go down to Do More, you will then see Pamela ...

Technotiger 10:45 11 Jan 2007

Skype also works with land-lines world-wide - that is why you have to pay for parts of it. Skype to Skype on PCs is free world-wide.

dagrat 10:50 11 Jan 2007

Thanks for that,
Ill search for skype and chech it out.
I was just thinking that maybe there was a software package that i just downloaded and then connected my existing telephone to the p.c. and away i go with answerphone.
Is this not possible?

Thanks for the reply technotiger

Stuartli 10:52 11 Jan 2007
  dagrat 11:51 11 Jan 2007

Thanks stuartli
Ill give that a try, it looks like what i was after.
One more question with modemspy do i have to connect the phone to the modem or p.c.,Or because it is a broadband modem can the phone stay connected to the wall socket?

baldtaco 13:13 11 Jan 2007

I've used "Pamela" successfully, but I've been meaning to follow up on this recommendation for a while. click here They also have a forum here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017