Telephone software

charliep 21:04 06 Sep 2007

Does XP pro have any built in telephone software apart frpm the fax console? If not does anyone know of a freebie (legit) telephone software>

Many thanks

Technotiger 21:05 06 Sep 2007

Try Skype click here

woodchip 22:00 06 Sep 2007

Free click here

Technotiger 22:21 06 Sep 2007

Hi, if Globe7 calls are free, why the amount shown in the screenshot?

charliep 08:21 07 Sep 2007

Thanks for the quick response guys. It looks like that although the software for Skype and Globe 7 is free, you have to buy credits to make the calls. I'm looking for something that I can use on my landline number. If you think of the built in XP pro fax console but a telephone rather than a fax.

Simsy 14:15 07 Sep 2007

only if you are using skype to call an "ordinary" telephone.

If you are calling skype to skype the calls are free.

Regards,

Simsy

charliep 14:46 07 Sep 2007

Thanks Simsy, but that is how I do want to use it, just like an "ordinary" phone to call an "ordinary" phone. Tried to find a download for Cheyenne Bitware without success,

john bunyan 17:47 07 Sep 2007

charliep. For £7.99 a month Vonage (click here) give you a new extra phone no, and a little black box to plug into your wireless modem/router. You can then plug in a nornal phone and call all day for the £7.99. No need to have computer on and it acts like a normal phone. You can get various packages for overseas - my plan includes UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia, USA Canada. but others are a vailable.

woodchip 17:53 07 Sep 2007

at the foot of the page
I have got this with a old dial up modem it works well, when setup correctly

click here

charliep 10:12 08 Sep 2007

Thanks everyone for your help. Tried Woodchips link but when I tried to download I got an "authentication required" dialog box and I don't have the passwords etc. So its good news and bad news and good news. Good news one - I found an old program I had filed away called Supervoice from Windows 95 days. Put that on and it seems to work OK. Bad news - the modem on my new desk top doesn't support voice. Good news two - the modem in my old laptop does support voice. So I'm happy now - well almost.

hvs 11:28 13 Aug 2008

I used to be able to use my old pc to make calls but cannot get it to work on my new pc. How do I configure the modem to enable me to make calls . I use windows fax, works 100% but have no idea why I cant make tele calls.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone