Telephone Cable

FRANNY 22:22 08 Sep 2003

I have to run a cable from my phone point in my living room,up the stairs to my computer,can anyone tell me the cheapest way to do this, wireless.I am on a tight budget.

john-232317 22:27 08 Sep 2003

draw us a pic of the inside of your house.

fitshase 22:40 08 Sep 2003

Have a look here:-

click here

It's not that cheap but you do get a digital cordless phone and wireless modem for your money.

Regards

Fitshase

spuds 22:50 08 Sep 2003

Not being funny, but I think making a 'pic of the inside of your house', is not wise, for all to see on a forum. Having done a number of telephone/cctv/television cable extentions around property, I found that it is rather simple.Just sit down,look at the possible routing, decide where you want your cable run, then go ahead and do it.If you are not into lifting floorboards etc,then go via skirting boards and carpet runs.

Should you decide to go the 'wireless' way, then a visit to a good computer shop (PCW perhaps) or email to someone like Belkin, should give you the necessary advice,prices etc. If you purchased your 'wireless' equipment from a retailer, and if they stated that it would work, on your property, and it doesn't, then you could claim a refund.Not sure if Argos, do a 16 day returns/refund on this type of unit!(;o).

palinka 18:21 09 Sep 2003

I agree with spuds, it's not necessary to draw a pic. Work out the shortest route, just as Spuds says. Measure it and add a bit. Then down to your local hardware shop (better still B&Q, Focus, or whatever diy store is around to buy telephone extension cable (usually available by the metre), a pack of clips to fix it to the skirting boards and an extra phone socket. Not expensive, maybe a fiver or so? but exact amount depends on the length of cable.

WaiKent 18:24 09 Sep 2003

why dont you just get an extension cable for the telephone socket and not worry about the ugly way it looks when its laid. stick it on the wall with those weird pin thingys. lol im not a diy expert. i have an extension to my room upstairs and it doesnt look half bad if it is done neatly. :/

dessi 19:14 09 Sep 2003

just a thought, do you have any central heating pipes going up from livingroom to room above, if yes there is a possibility of passing a length of solid wire through hole tape on one end of extention wire and pull through, having purchased the measured length of phone cable and one socket from maplin or any diy shop and follow the wire colours on main socket exactly to the extention socket using nos 2,5,&3.worth a try.

john-232317 20:01 09 Sep 2003

I cant believe you think a picture of franny`s phone point in the lounge to the computer upstairs is going to be a major security risk....LOL...LOL...

If we could see the positions it would have been easier to advise on what was needed for the job..

graham√ 20:09 09 Sep 2003

There's a fiver waiting for the first person to draw a picture of a house on the forum.

john-232317 20:35 09 Sep 2003

/ / / | |
| |
L____I

Donate it to kids charity...;-))

john-232317 20:37 09 Sep 2003

Sorry it fell down when i posted it on....;-)

i will donate the fiver meself for being a pr-tt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?