Technotiger's link from"Slow running PC Conn"

six-h 23:43 15 Jun 2007

Technotiger,
Rather than interupt the above thread, I hope that you or others, can explain the contents of Sys. Info. to me, it seems to be telling porkies.
When booting up, the memory is listed as 1 GB which is what is installed.
I've just followed your link, Intrigued by your instructions to limit the space available to "Page File", and wonder why you would not leave it to the system to apportion what's required??
Then checked my machine, must admit,I don't understand the Page file and virtual memory information, Or what it does!
I've got 1GB of mem. in 2x512 MB sticks.
So why does Sys. Info. say : -
"Total Physical Mem." 4,224.00 MB
Available - do - 597.51 MB
Total Virtual Mem. 2 GB
Avail. - do - 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.41 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 16 Jun 2007

otal Physical Mem." 4,224.00 MB should report the 1 G you have fitted.

Available - do - 597.51 MB what is not beig used by currently running programs and services.

Total Virtual Mem. 2 GB your virtual memory should be set to double the physical memory so 2G is correct.

Avail. - do - 1.96 GB only a small poportion of virtual memory is currently being used.

Page File Space 2.41 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys the location of your page file

From Fastest to Slowest, these are the configuration you can try:

* No swap file at all. Some software may fail.
* A static swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A static swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* The Default: A dynamic swap file on the same partition and physical hard drive (usually C:) as Windows.

You must reboot for your changes to take effect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 16 Jun 2007

Page File

Adjust the paging file to a respectable level. This is valid for Windows XP Home and Pro.

Can you get rid of the paging file? Yes and no. If you have a boat load of memory (greater than 1GB, but I recommend 2 GB) you may be able to function just fine. Some games require a certain amount of swap space to be created to even run, no matter how much RAM is available. Also, under certain conditions, my sound card goes crazy (or does not function) in some games with no paging file (oddly enough, Age of Empires 2). If you decide to test your luck with no paging file, you are on your own. :) Please do not E-Mail me with your war stories about no paging file. Every system is different and each persons requirement of how many applications are open at a time is different..

Where do you find it?

With the default Category Control Panel:

1. Head to Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Performance and Maintenance
4. Select System
5. Select Advanced Tab
6. Under Performance, select the Settings button
7. Select Advanced Tab
8. Under Virtual Memory, select the Change button
9. Adjust as needed, or select "No paging File," then select the Set button
10. Select the Ok button to apply the settings
11. You must reboot for the changes to take effect

With the Classic Control Panel:

1. Head to Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Select Advanced Tab
5. Under Performance, select the Settings button
6. Select Advanced Tab
7. Under Virtual Memory, select the Change button
8. Adjust as needed, or select "No paging File," then select the Set button
9. Select the Ok button to apply the settings
10. You must reboot for the changes to take effect

Screen shots of the process are also available.

If anything, create (preferably on a separate partition), a paging of constant size. For example, select Custom Size and place 1000 in "Initial" and 1000 in "Maximum" Size boxes, then click Set Button. This will reduce the amount of work needed to dynamically resize the paging file, usually when you need it most.

Some definitions need to be explained:

Physical RAM ~ The amount of Memory (RAM) installed on a system. Physical RAM is "way" faster than a "paging file."

Paging File ~ The file that is located on your hard drive that "acts" like Physical RAM but is way slower.

Virtual Memory ~ The name used for the sum of Physical RAM and the Paging File. In other words: Physical RAM + Paging File = Virtual Memory. You cannot "disable" Virtual Memory even if you disable the Paging File. Meaning, 2 GB RAM + 0 MB Paging File = 2 GB Virtual Memory.

If you have not already, reboot now.

six-h 14:49 17 Jun 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\,
Thanks for attempting to educate me!
Upshot is, you've convinced me that this is way beyond me intelect!
I'll be leaving my machine to take care of it's own page file, though thanks to your posting, I'm a little less ignorant!
One thing that worries me is Your first statement in your first post, are you saying that my system, though reporting 1GB memory, and listing in "System Properties" on the general tab, 1GB, is in fact only using 512 MB??

Technotiger 15:05 17 Jun 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ ... thanks, you can explain it better than me. I will just add for six-h further edification that Virtual memory is Space on your Hard drive that the system uses to boost available memory, mostly I think applicable for Games to be able to run at higher settings, as in FSX. The bigger the hard drive, the more vitual memory able to be utilised.

six-h 15:10 17 Jun 2007

Technotiger,
You have both convinced me not to mess!!
my only concern now is if I'm getting the benefit of both sticks of ram in my machine?

six-h 00:02 29 Aug 2007

Still in the cellar, chucking out old posts!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017