Technophobe needs to buy pc for children

spudcounter 13:00 08 Nov 2010

Am quite naiive with regards to computers but need to buy a desktop pc for my children (currently 10 and 6 yrs). It will need to do the following:

homework stuff
google earth
powerpoint
access to educational homework
photos and videos
iplayer
gaming (basic that a 10 yr old might play)
decent size monitor needs to be included in price
probably not touchscreen as not sure about children and stability

Does anyone know which spec I would need to do the above?
Is it worth paying extra to have more than we currently need in case we need it in the next couple of years?
How much should I expect to pay? And is it better to get a package? Has anyone any recommendations?
Do I need Intel?
Thankyou in advance!

chub_tor 20:53 08 Nov 2010

Just about any non gaming machine will meet the spec you have given and click here is one example of what you can get on the High Street. If you are happy to buy from an internet supplier then there are plenty of similar machines around but you can't walk in and try them out.

In my opinion you should set your budget first and then buy the best machine you can afford rather than try and stretch to get "the latest and best" - you will always be behind the technology curve no matter how hard you try.

Packages will always be cheaper but you are stuck with the supplier's choice of monitor, keyboard and mouse which are not always the best choice - for example you might get a wired mouse and keyboard when wireless might suit you better or vice versa.

No you do not need Intel, AMD processors in budget applications are just as good and cheaper.

Good luck with the search.

chub_tor 08:58 09 Nov 2010

Another alternative click here from a well known reputable internet supplier. You will need to add a monitor and you can get a wide selection of sizes from the same supplier click here

peter99co 16:38 09 Nov 2010

I connected an Acer Revo to the home TV Monitor using the HDMI socket. Very good prices available and just needs an external CD drive to add software/games.

Dragon_Heart 02:37 23 Nov 2010

You could try waiting for the next PC offer @ ALDI but you will need to be at the store EARLY !!!

They offer a PC without a monitor but they somtimes have one as a seperate offer. ALDI / Medion also have 3 year breakdown cover.

How about a refurbished PC ? Morgan Computers click here offer what I consider good deals.

morddwyd 09:23 23 Nov 2010

I am surprised that any ten year old does not know enough about computers to tell you what is needed!

spudcounter 09:25 23 Nov 2010

ha! probably does but it is meant to be a xmas surprise!

Dragon_Heart 21:13 24 Nov 2010

...... 'spudcounter' could end up paying for £1000 monster :-)

PS DON'T go to PC World and ask for help !!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?